Code::Blocks is an open source, free, configurable programming environment for C or C++.
The Code::Blocks EDU-Portable interface, integrated help, tools and default compilation settings are all configured for ease of learning C and C++.
The EDU-Portable configuration of Code::Blocks provides easy, one-click installation as a portable application under Windows.
NOTE: Code::Blocks EDU-Portable is a Windows portable application (NT, XP, Vista, Windows 7). Other platforms not supported.
32 bit MinGW compiler included.
CodeBlocks-EP is specially configured for learners of C or C++ and teaching institutions with:
- simple portable installation
- easy access to C/C++ language help (by pressing F1 while cursor is on a keyword, or via the Help menu)
- promotion of contemporary C and C++ programming language standards (C99, C++98)
- static code checking (cppcheck) and other pre-installed programming tools
- simple 2D graphics libraries (WinBGIm, GRX) - a simple 2D graph plotting library (koolplot) - conio and conio2 libraries
- 2D/3D Graphics (GLUT)
- GUI libraries (Win32, wxwidgets, FLTK)
- C/C++ style formatter (AStyle)
- automatic documentation generator (doxygen-DoxyBlocks)
- contemporary C and C++ compiler: GCC 4.4.5 Windows/unicode - 32 bit. Supports internationalisation.
Windows Installer (setup.exe) - Version 1.1.1 - 12 March 2011: CB svn 7041, download 116 MB. Requires 669 MB on disk.
Click on the setup file and follow the instructions on screen to install.
Alternatively (silent install):
Zip (CodeBlocks-EP.zip) - Version 1.1.1 - 12 March 2011: CB svn 7041, download 185 MB. Requires 669 MB on disk.
Unzip into a directory of your choice (say C:\Program Files). It creates and unpacks to subdirectory CodeBlocks-EP.
Place a shortcut to "CbLancher.exe" (NOT to "codeblocks.exe"!) in your startup menu or launch bar.
This release contains all necessary components.
(No other downloads are needed!)
What's new in 1.1.x:
- The latest stable Code::Blocks build (svn 7041).
- Improved editor font and syntax highlighting.
- GCC 4.4.5 (improved standards compliance).
- New and updated graphics libraries.
- Improved programming tools.
- Several new Code::Blocks plugins.
- Updated Help files
- The Code::Blocks IDE is developed and maintained by the Code::Blocks team.
- The CbLauncher program that makes CodeBlocks-EP truly portable was originally produced by Biplab (http://biplab.in) and is available for download with source code from http://CbLauncher.codecutter.org/CbLauncher_1.0.zip
- The Windows installer was produced with Inno Setup.
Code::Blocks is free and open source. It is maintained and distributed under GPL v3.0 licence. Code::Blocks EDU-Portable is distributed under the same licence.
Communication about the Code::Blocks EDU-Portable distribution is currently via email to the maintainer (see page footer).
Better communication via a forum is to be arranged shortly.
The Code::Blocks team are not involved in the production of Code::Blocks EDU-Portable and assume no responsibility for it.
Windows 7 and New Fonts Installation:
The launcher installs a few programmer fonts, in particular Inconsolata-sq, a brilliant programmer's fixed-width font. Many Windows 7 machines work without a problem with the standard CodeBlocks-EP install. A few Windows 7 installations (both x32 and x64) however experience issues with new font installations, even when a program installing those fonts is run in administrator mode. On these machines the launcher locks when attempting to install the programmers fonts, or Code::Blocks itself freezes when loading source code.
If you run Windows 7 and encounter this issue, until more is know about the fonts installation issue and a permanent fix is embedded in the standard installation, please access this temporary fix on the Windows 7 Special download page.
Code::Blocks EDU-Portable is a learner-oriented configuration of the Code::Blocks binary that does not involve modification of the source code.
- The Code::Blocks source is provided at http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads/7 .
- Construction of the EDU-Portable distribution from source is described here.
Previous minor releases:
Windows Installer (setup_1.1.0.exe) - Version 1.1.0 - 21 February 2011: CB svn 7010, download 116 MB. Requires 670 MB on disk
Zip (Codeblocks-EP_1.1.0.zip) - Version 1.1.0 - 21 February 2011: CB svn 7010, download 186 MB. Requires 670 MB on disk.
Previous Major Release